This beautiful young woman recently died...there are people who come into your life when you least expect it, touch your heart then disappear...all except their memory, their love and their heart.
Jan was the wife of a very special friend. She had a very handsome young son who died long before he should of - Cerebral Palsy...I have seen some pictures of Christopher and looking at the beauty that emanates from Jan, I can see how Christopher lit up hers and my friends lives.
Jan and I were odd fellows at heart, I being a bit on the brash and unorthodox side, prone to flying off the handle and leaving within a moment's notice and she being a calming influence but none the less willing to take on some of my more, shall we say - odd - directions.
My friend says I should have known her when she was younger - she was raised Catholic but had a very non-Catholic streak to her that he says I could have related to. She travelled the world when they were in the Navy and she always had a strength and kindness and willingness to help about her that I am sure stood her in good stead when she had to travel so much and maintain households.
I am proud to have known her. There is a book: "Well-behaved Women Seldom Make History" Jan made history - her own and a touchstone of mine.
I don't know who her heroines were, I should have asked.
My friend comforted Jan through extremely difficult times, there were many times when he would tell me that he was exhausted, couldn't find the strength...then I would look into his eyes and wait, he would invariably say "Thanks" and then go on. The compassion that shows in Jan's eyes was there in his.
One counts friends as those for whom you would lay down your life for, that you would comfort them in their sickness, that you would stay with them wrong or right and help solve the vicissitudes of life. I would like to have thought that I was that kind of friend to Jan.
I hope that I can be that kind of friend to her husband.
"All those who are touched by beauty are touched by sorrow at it's passing" - Louise Cordana

Beautiful !
ReplyDelete