Whatever happened to manners and civility? Do you say: "Yes, m'am" or "No, Sir"? Do you remember to say: "Please" or "Thank you."? I have come to conclude that the words: manners, ethics and their other synonyms ought to be relegated to the "Ye Olde English" dictionary.
During the 18th Century there were a few admonitions regarding correct behavior.
"Before you sit down, be sure your seat has not been fouled" - Have you seen the seats in most fast food places these days?
"Do not touch yourself under your clothes with your bare hands" - When was the last time YOU scratched?
Colonial America had some doosers also:
"Grease not thy fingers or napkin more than necessity requires." Ever eaten barbeque and watched the numerous diners remove the sauce from their fingers?
"...bedew no man's face with Spittle by approaching too near him when you speak." I will leave it to you to decide when the last time this happened to you.
Today we have a whole new set of: "Gad, I wish there was a rule!"
Speaking on a cell phone as if you had to shout...I don't want to hear about Aunt Elsie's Hysterectomy while I am eating.
Not opening or closing doors for those behind or in front of you who might have trouble with the door...I actually was admonished for holding the door open for a woman with her arms full as she was struggling with the door..."I don't need YOUR help!" Gad.
Spitting on the sidewalk...in the military, if we were caught doing that...we had to clean it up, and a whole lot else.
Multitasking on electronic instruments...ask your kid what it was that they just listened to...don't be too surprised at the answer.
As Leslie Caron said: "I got what I have now through knowing the right time to tell terrible people when to go to hell."
Later.
Le Conteur
No comments:
Post a Comment