Due Care and Attention

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Why do we say it?

I am a bibliophile.  Whenever we move, we pack up the books first and Poof! the whole house is almost empty.  Sometimes I will go through the books, grit my teeth and try to determine which books I haven't read or looked at or have really, really outgrown.

I found this one:  "Why do we say it?" and I have been enthralled ever since.  I listen to everything people say and try to figure out where the phrase came from, why we still say it or whether we should just drop it.  There are also times where I say...who says that...you're kidding aren't you.

"Wink is as good as a nod"; Wisdom teeth";  "Handwritting on the wall".  No wonder English is such a difficult language to learn, we keep putzing it up with slang, shorthand and idioms...or idiot toms.

How about "Froonce" or "Gaberlunzie"?

And then there are the ads that seem ok..."New Housing for Elderly Not Yet Dead."

Hasta La Vista.

Le Conteur

No comments:

Post a Comment