Due Care and Attention

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

WHO ARE YOUR HEROS?

I am a bibliophile, when the Gaffer and I move, the first thing out of the house are the books...boxed, labelled and ready to be mailed to the new address - last move it was over two tons of books and we do not accumulate paperbacks.

I recently came across a book that brought me to my knees in thought:  Heros for My Daughter  by Brad Meltzer.  Now there are many of you who know that my daughter did not live past her fifth birthday, and there are many things I wish I could have imparted to her before she left for her next life, one of them was the heros that meant something to me.  A lot of them are included in this book as well as some surprises.

I would like to add a few of my own:  Katherine Hepburn, she was before her time - if you have not seen "Pat and Mike" then you are missing a great movie, Susan Faludi, author of "Backlash", Beryl Markham, look her up for yourself, Mary Leakey, Lawdog, Susan Eloise Hinton...I could go on, so many women and men have influenced my life...and so many more will before I "leave this mortal coil".

One of the men who was most influential was Crazy Crow...an avowed Shaman and wonderful trickster.  His gift was to allow his friends to participate in a vision quest to see what they could see of themselves...I discovered that I had been a falconer in a past life - no wonder that I love birds of prey and empathize with them.

Again, I ask, who are your heros - people who have influenced your life, not the "heros" of celebrity or sports, unless they are really worthy of the acclaim...

The mist rising above the crest of a wave
a million selves reflecting upon each other
lasting but a moment, before continuing
This is life evolving out of the depths
of eternity
to color a moment
before continuing
   -Rick Duncan

Le Conteur

No comments:

Post a Comment