We all sat around the lunch table today and commented on the caloric rush we are expecting tomorrow when the Gaffer (he prefers this over the Geezer) said....I have one prayer to say tonight....GIVE ME MY THANKSGIVING WITHOUT CHRISTMAS CAROLS...thank you, Lord.
I agree. Thanksgiving is about giving....Christmas has become about getting...one of the, if not the most meaningful Thanksgivings I have ever had in my life was when a Son-in-law decided that the Gaffer and I should come out their way to celebrate Thanksgiving...all of the rest of the clan came, but were not about on the actual Thursday...So Saturday the boys decided to go out to get Mexican food...had a blissful time over burritos, salsa, margaritas and family.
Now I come from a family that really is not too fond of me and we never really did anything worthwhile on Thanksgiving, so i tried to maintain a quiet distance from this one as it was the gaffers family and not really mine...shy I was I guess...never happened before. But it is the only Thanksgiving that I remember with any fondness at all. Since then I have tried to go somewhere special for the Thanksgiving holidays...usually took some vacation time then and went somewhere that was new and I could meet new people and rest. I find that that has been a rejuvenation time for me and the boardinghouse can get along without me for awhile...I can certainly get along without them for a bit. Christmas is when I would take others folks shifts, day and/or night so they could be with family. Works out pretty well, but I agree with the Gaffer....I DON'T WANT CHRISTMAS MUSIC WITH MY THANKSGIVING!!!
Le Conteur
No comments:
Post a Comment